Ovid Quotes

Courage conquers all things: it even gives strength to the body.


First thing every morning before you arise say out loud, "I believe," three times.

Either do not attempt at all, or go through with it.

At times it is folly to hasten at other times, to delay. The wise do everything in its proper time.

Bear and endure: This sorrow will one day prove to be for your good.


Luck affects everything. Let your hook always be cast; in the stream where you least expect it there will be a fish.

Nothing is more powerful than custom or habit.

The man who has experienced shipwreck shudders even at a calm sea.

The spirited horse, which will try to win the race of its own accord, will run even faster if encouraged.

The vulgar crowd values friends according to their usefulness.


Video meliora, proboque, deteriora sequor. I see and approve better things, but follow worse.

All things may corrupt when minds are prone to evil.

By faithful study of the nobler arts, our nature's softened, and more gentle grows.

When I was from Cupid's passions free, my Muse was mute and wrote no elegy.

Nothing is stronger than habit.

To be loved, be lovable.

Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

Dignity and love do not blend well, nor do they continue long together.

At times it is folly to hasten at other times, to delay. The wise do everything in its proper time.

If you would marry suitably, marry your equal.

Love will enter cloaked in friendship's name.

It is not any particular type of beauty that sets my heart on fire. A hundred motives compel me to be always in love. Here is a girl that drops her gaze demurely. That is enough, my heart catches fire and her modesty is the lure that ensnares me. And here is one that is out for booty. To her I fall a willing victim because she is no novice and because she bids fair to be keen and enterprising on a downy couch. And then, if I see one with an expression that recalls to me the Sabine dames, I forthwith tell myself that she has longings but knows how to conceal them. Are you a learned lady? I fall in love with your rare accomplishments. Unlearned? Your naïveté enthralls me. ...

Overlook our deeds, since you know that crime was absent from our inclination.

Blemishes are hid by night and every fault forgiven; darkness makes any woman fair.

Many women long for what eludes them, and like not what is offered them.

Wine gives courage and makes men more apt for passion.

Take rest; a field that has rested gives a bountiful crop.

Tears at times have all the weight of speech.

The cause is hidden. The effect is visible to all.

Medio tutissimus ibis. You will be safest in the middle.

I have not the strength nor the will-power to govern my passions; they bear me along with them, even as the swift tide hurries away the slender bark.


The gods have their own rules.

The result justifies the deed.

Time the devourer of all things.

0 comments: