Writing Quotes - How To Start Quotes - The Beginning is the Hardest

I use the same approach on all works, whether poetry or prose: I tacitly assume that the first fifty ways I try it are going to be wrong...
James Dickey





Write quickly and you will never write well. Write well, and you will soon write quickly.

Marcus Fabius Quintilianus




It is better to write a bad first draft than to write no first draft at all.
Will Shetterly



The best time for planning a book is while you're doing the dishes.
Agatha Christie


It is worth mentioning, for future reference, that the creative power which bubbles so pleasantly in beginning a new book quiets down after a time, and one goes on more steadily. Doubts creep in.
Then one becomes resigned. Determination not to give in, and the sense of an impending shape
keep one at it more than anything.
Virginia Woolf


As a writer I'm merely a journalist who has learned to write better than others.
Gabriel Garcia Marquez



I don't know much about creative writing programs. But they're not telling the truth if they don't teach, one, that writing is hard work, and, two, that you have to give up a great deal of life, your personal life, to be a writer.
Doris Lessing


As for my next book, I am going to hold myself from writing it till I have it impending in me: grown heavy in my mind like a ripe pear; pendant, gravid, asking to be cut or it will fall. Virginia Woolf


If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster. Isaac Asimov

You will write if you will write without thinking of the result in terms of a result, but think of the writing in terms of discovery, which is to say that creation must take place between the pen and the paper, not before in a thought or afterwards in a recasting...
It will come if it is there and if you will let it come.
Gertrude Stein


You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Ray Bradbury

0 comments: